Saturday 6 September 2014

LE: Embellishing My Vases: 1 of 2

I've loved this polka dotty fabric from the beginning. It was one of the original fabrics I considered for the quilt from the very beginning, and its survived several colour scheme changes, so I'm happy to see it take pride of place as two opposite vases. I'm thinking of making the polka dotty vases a bit more feminine as this quilt is unashamedly romantic and can take all the embellishments you can think of. 

I really love seeing how everyone is choosing to embellish their own elements of the pattern design, so here's what I did:


Just a little detail, but I think a touch of gold lifts it


Now I am in love with this rust coloured thread: I'm just looking for an excuse to use it! I really had to think and rethink using this colour here or elsewhere (because my 'crosses' need some attention and I think this rust would look perfect there).


stitched down, but just a touch too plain


This pink is perfect and compliments my hearts too: I'm embellishing the base with just a few knots and going around the vase in a simple blanket stitch


that's better



 This is almost too much but wonderful all the same
I'm having great fun making this quilt and the only think more enjoyable than making it myself, is seeing how everyone else is choosing the express themselves through the pattern. I love them all. 


13 comments:

  1. This is such a masterpiece! Could I ask, what fabric is your background fabric? I LOVE what you've done! Truly a work of art! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wide back, a very fine cotton white on white and the imprint is a French Toile in white for just a touch of detail. I don't really recommend it now because its too fine for so much applique - I would choose differently if I could go back.

      Delete
  2. I must admit to not feeling the love for the spotty fabric as you did, but now it has the blanket stitch, I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness Sally, I love ALL polka dots. But yes, this one really needed something extra

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness. what a lovely touch to your vase! the added detail has my wheels aspinnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference a touch of colour makes, you sure have made your vase your own, how lovely the colours are in this corner that touch of pink brings out the other colours. It is such fun seeing YOUR LE growing LOL. You will be pass where I'm up to soon??? Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again! I've been trying and trying to join the Yahoo group for this quilt. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks so much! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, the embroidery detailing is GORGEOUS! That dotty fabric looks dimensional in the photographs, not like a printed quilters cotton. Did you source it from garment or home décor fabric? I love the subtlety of those tone-on-tone raised polka dots. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This beige polka dot fabric is very sheer and is from an antique wedding dress. I had to back it up with silk in order to use it as it was just so flimsy. But this is a romantic quilt and I couldn't resist a remnant of an old forgotten wedding dress snuck in there, its just so appealing.

      Delete
  7. Love this the extra detail is making your vase stand out. You are an artist.
    Hugs Bunny

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...